Experiencing consistent inspiration is one of my goals.
When I’m inspired I’m energized and excited to create and connect from the heart. I’m a better coach, friend, partner and writer. I feel more stylish, I make better meals, and I go on more adventures
Life just flows.
But, sometimes inspiration can be hard to find.
When we feel overwhelmed, trapped in routine, or disconnected from our purpose, that creative drive awakened in us through inspiration can dry up.
This causes us to feel bored, stuck or anxious about a variety of life situations.
Discovering ways to consistently generate inspiration is key to making sure we’re always thriving on our creative edge, living in alignment with our purpose, and creating our best possible work.
6 Ways to Find Fresh Inspiration – Even When You’re Creatively Drained
1. Disconnect to Reconnect.Yes, the Internet is home to tons of inspiring content, but truth is our creative genius comes from within. Spend some time unplugged to reconnect with your inner self. She’s got tons of amazing, truly innovative ideas to share with you, but you’ve got to give her the time and space to share ‘em. That means powering down your laptop and silencing your phone.
2. Engage. When we’re tapped for creative fuel it can be tempting to try and force the magic by entering a hermit like state. Do not do this. Instead call up some of your besties and socialize. Get out of the house. Talk to people. So many genuinely amazing ideas come from authentic conversations. Engage with people and you’ll be creatively refueled in no time.
3. Creep and Save. We spend so much time on our cell phones and laptops mindlessly scrolling through social media, why not use this downtime as a way to bank some creative genius? Follow social media accounts that inspire you and when you see a really cool post or picture, snap a screen shot and save it. Then create a folder in your phone or on your desktop and file the shots away. When you’re tapped for inspiration you’ll have a whole pile of creative juice to draw on.
4.. Find Your Om. Even if yoga and meditation really aren’t your thing, making at least a little time for stillness is uber important to staying on your creative edge. Like I said above, our creative genius lives within. When you meditate you connect to that place of deep inner awareness giving your creative genius a chance to shine through. Try carving out at least five minutes a day for meditation. Keep a notebook handy to write down any creative ideas or insights that come to you.
Stress and tension build up and stay stored in our bodies stifling our creative flow. Feeling blocked? Move! Take a walk, go for a run, go out dancing with your girls. You’ll feel rejuvenated and full of creative energy afterward.
5. Stream Your Conscious. Free writing can be one of the most effective ways to access the fountain of creativity that lives within you. With a pen in hand, take the pressure off yourself, and simply write anything and everything that comes to mind. Don’t judge or analyze your words, simply write. Do this for 10 to 15 minutes and you’ll find your creative flow.
6. Hang Out in the Hot Spots. Spend time in places that inspire you and switch up your environment frequently. Immersing yourself in an environment that stimulates you is one of the best ways to tap into your inner creative genius. If nature refreshes and refuels you, make a point to spend a lot of time outdoors before embarking on your next project, or head to a trendy new café to write your next blog post.
Where do you find your inspiration? I’d love to know in the comments below!